This year, I’m going with SMART resolutions. I’m looking for statements like: one [thing] per [time period]. On the technical side, I’ve got:
- half an hour of reading code per day
- one (programming) project per month
I’ve got ~8 items on my list, but the 2 above are the ones I decided to do.
I’ve always found reading other people’s code challenging. (I might not be alone.) In a true agile way, I believe that if it hurts do it more often. This year, I’ll crack open a lot of code and force myself to read through it.
As for projects, 12 throwaway projects are just what the doctor ordered. These will serve multiple purposes:
- force myself to code “crazy” things I wouldn’t normally invest time into
- expose myself to more topics
- serve as programming exercises
There are no downsides!
I know resolutions are cheesy. However, by only picking a few in the might-have-done-anyway category, I’m setting myself up for success.